Hemlock Advances Paper Procurement Policy
May 01, 2015
Conserving and Protecting Ancient & Endangered Forests
Burnaby BC – Award winning printer, Hemlock Printers has developed a comprehensive Environmental Paper Procurement policy to ensure responsible purchasing practices and commitment to the advocacy of responsible forest management. Hemlock developed its policy in collaboration with Canopy, a leading environmental not-for-profit dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species and climate.
Effective immediately, the document provides for a clear statement of vision and implementation goals, and focuses on the protection of endangered forests, eco-paper development and responsible environmental practices within the printing industry.
“We recognize that sustainability is a critical issue, not just within our community but around the globe” says Hemlock President Richard Kouwenhoven. “As an acknowledged leader in our trade, we are driven to elevate the standards and expectations of our peers and customers by these important initiatives”.
Some of the key measures Hemlock is committed to implementing include:
· Ensuring that the paper products we purchase do not originate from endangered species habitat, and continue to source paper with fiber originating from FSC certified, well-managed long standing plantations
· Reducing and by 2017, eliminate, the purchase of paper products from highly controversial sources (example: companies logging forests illegally)
· Maximizing the overall recycled fiber content of the paper we buy to a minimum average of 35% within five years
· Giving preference to suppliers that monitor and reduce overall emissions by adopting the latest technologies and practices to minimize air and water pollution
· Reducing our overall paper waste by 2% annually through various measures
· Continuing to reduce our GHG footprint and that of our customers through our ZERO carbon neutral program
“Hemlock enjoys an impressive track record of environmental firsts and is known for setting the sustainability bar within the print industry,” said Nicole Rycroft, Executive Director of Canopy. “This cutting edge policy reinforces them as a ‘go to’ printer for any customers looking for a print partner who will help them meet their sustainability goals.”
To see Hemlock’s policy in its entirety, please click here.
About Hemlock Printers
Hemlock Printers is one of the largest commercial printers in the Pacific Northwest, and is a professionally managed, privately owned family enterprise that has built its success on service, integrity, quality products and a commitment to continuous innovation. With a production facility in Burnaby BC that operates 100 percent carbon neutral, and sales offices in Victoria, Seattle and San Francisco, Hemlock is consistently recognized as an industry leader in both quality and sustainability. For more information, visit www.hemlock.com
Canopy is an award winning environmental not-for-profit organization dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species and climate. Canopy collaborates with more than 750 companies to develop innovative solutions, make their supply chains more sustainable and help protect our world’s remaining ancient and endangered forests. Canopy’s partners include H&M, Sprint, Penguin - Random House, Zara, TC Transcontinental, The Globe and Mail and Scholastic. Canopy’s work relies on the support of individual donors who share our passion for the planet. For more information, visit www.canopyplanet.org
For more information, please contact:
Doug Climie, Hemlock Printers: 604.439.5004 or email@example.com
Neva Murtha, Canopy: 604.817-4974 or firstname.lastname@example.org